Herghelia Lucina

Leaganul calului hutul

 

 

From its founding until 1914, Lucina stud belonged to Austro-Hungarian Empire, together with Radauti stud.
In 1875 for unknown reasons, stud is closed, but due to military applications, it was re-established in 1877 with a core consisting of ten breeding mares purchased from  the population of the area and the stallion Stirbu purchased from the namesake hamlet.
After re-establishing the stud , horses number increased significantly, in  1891 reaching  71 pieces. Evolution of hutsuls horse race meets  great progress in Lucina Stud until 1914, in August, when ,due to the war, Lucina Stud was evacuated in Austria

After the war, the Romanian state  was invited to the last auction held in  Austria (at Vienna), in 1919 where it bought a part  of the breeding herds of the former Radauti stud, including few mares and stallions, bred in Lucina Stud. Thus, on 29th of  July 1919, have brought 150 heads of stallions and breeding mares at Radauti stud.
There followed a period of organizing the two studs until 1922, when the core of Hutsuls race consisted of 26 mares and three mount stallions. Some of these specimens came from the private sector in Bukovina, and another part from  the former stud Lucina.
On March 10, 1944 because of the war, mother mares, stallions nursery and some colts of Lucina stud were evacuated to the Sambata de Jos stud, under  the Fagaras Mountains. During the battles, the stables and the houses were burned.